Do We Still Know How To Celebrate?
[dropcap cap="C"]hinese New Year has become an international festival. Anchored into the calendar of ancient and rural China, it takes new significance in different times and places. What do we celebrate exactly at the time of Chinese New Year? How does it affect family life? What does it teach us about the importance of celebrating together in our post-modern societies, from East to West? More generally this Focus takes the opportunity of Chinese New Year to offer insights and reflections on the way we celebrate. Do our rituals and festivals still carry significance and if so, which do they convey?[/dropcap]
Chinese New Year in the 21st Century. Joyce brings together tradition and modernity, having spent much of her youth in South Africa, she reveals how her scattered family overcomes long distance to celebrate Chinese New Year as a family.
I may have been labelled the "CNY Scrooge" around the eRenlai office; however, despite my obvious lack of objectivity, I try to describe with the most sincerity my first New Year spent with the family in Taipei.
Pinti loves eating and she is apparently a good cook! However traditions are very important and give the opportunity to make and break habits. Here, she explains to us why she recently became a vegetarian...
T"]he east is red, the west is red. Is...
This month's Renlai
Help us keep the content of eRenlai free: take five minutes to make a donation
- A Centre for the Middle Country
- No Nukes = No Future?
- Remembering the 309 Anti-nuclear Protest
- Alternative Protest in Japan: Two Years After Fukushima
- History of the Taiwanese Anti-nuclear Movement
- Recapturing Memories: Social Protests as a Way for Taiwanese Youth to Reconnect with the Past
- The Demonstrative Power of the Carnival: Fun as a Form of Protest
- Art and Social Activism: Mutually Beneficial?
- The Taiwanese Experience: Adjusting to life on the other side of the world
- The extraordinary challenge of living an ordinary life
eRenlai provides a monthly newsletter that introduces you to the Focus and other articles.