TO MY FATHER
February 21, 2008Last Updated on Thu, 01 Apr 2010 15:58
TO MY FATHER
It’s hard to keep from going bad
If there’s no goodness in your Dad.
It’s hard to be a Wayward Son
If Dad won’t be the sire of one.
A boy needs giving-out, not giving-in.
So, thank you, Dad, for all you’ve been.
TO GRANDPA R.
I’ve never met you, Grandpa R.,
Because you live away so far.
But I can tell how you must be
By watching Dad and being Me.
EVERY SECOND NEEDS A FIRST
No fruit at the top
Is found on a crop
With nothing below.
Before that, indeed,
There must be good seed
To make it all grow.
The way to be bolder
Is stand on the shoulder
Of someone who’s already bold.
You’ll only be taller,
If once you were smaller.
For only the golden are gold.
No letter, no mail.
There’s only a sale
If something is sold.
No moisture, no hail.
There’s only a tale
If a story is told.
|< Prev||Next >|
|Written by : Robert Ronald
Send a message to Robert Ronald
Other articles by this author
- A Lesson From the Blind (09 December 2008)
- Robots and Humans (21 November 2008)
- The salt of the earth (17 November 2008)
- Me and my dreams (14 October 2008)
- Hooray and alas for the national debt (14 October 2008)
- Being cool (23 June 2008)
- One small step for man... (11 June 2008)
- Take time for discernment and followup (29 May 2008)
- A Matter of Poetry (28 March 2008)
- The lessons of Hansel and Gretel (31 December 2007)
- On the Death of a Friend (19 December 2007)
- The other side of the moon (17 December 2007)
- The ambiguity and the challenge of being Asian (21 November 2007)
- Expecting the unexpected (05 November 2007)
- The Sidewalk Vendor (25 October 2007)
- The twisting and not so narrow road (19 October 2007)
- On Living With Problems You Cannot Escape (18 October 2007)
- My First Fifty Years In Taiwan (17 September 2007)
- Five easy ways to turn your friend into your enemy... (14 September 2007)
- Falling In and Out of Love (20 August 2007)
This month's Renlai
Help us keep the content of eRenlai free: take five minutes to make a donation
- Obesity and Freedom
- Focus Response: Father Jacques Duraud, SJ on 'My God?'
- Dancing through the lens: Photographing the Pacific Festival of Arts
- Religious Colonialism: Cultural Loss in the Solomon Islands
- Shell Money, Dowries and the Skulls of Ancestors: The Living Traditions of the Solomon Islands
- The Langalanga People: "Natives" of the Man-made islands of the Solomons
- A Vibrant Culture with an Ugly Facade: Honiara and the Pacific Art Festival
- Swept away from Sinology by the Allure of Taiwan's Pacific coast
- A Fight between David and Goliath
- Amateurs in Tokyo - Reasonable Riots
eRenlai provides a monthly newsletter that introduces you to the Focus and other articles.
We have 1416 guests online